Saturday 24 December 2011

A Christmas Tag

I read this Christmas tag on Lucy's blog and thought it was fab, so thought I'd post my own version here.

Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Eggnog, I love it around Christmas time! Don't get me wrong I love a good hot chocolate too but that is something you can have all year round, eggnog as far as I'm concerned is for Christmas, especially if it comes in the form of a Starbucks eggnog latte!

Weheartit

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Wrap!! Half the fun of presents is guessing what lies beneath the wrapping paper, plus wrapped presents look so pretty under the Christmas tree. I used to wrap presents for a living (thanks to a part time job in a card shop during my college days) so I'm pretty OCD on present wrapping.

Coloured lights on tree/house or white?
As far as I'm concerned only non flashing white lights should be displayed on the outside of a house....I'm not big on coloured or flashing lights. As for the Christmas tree I think coloured or twinkling lights can look really pretty and give a cosy feel. 

Do you hang mistletoe?
No, although it's a cute idea! My grandparents occasionally hang some in their home.
One of my favourite Christmas decorations
When do you put your decorations up?
Really, really late!! We're such a busy family we barely have time to do it. It might shock you to know that we only just assembled the tree this week!!

What is your favourite holiday dish?
Probably has to be the Christmas day lunch with all the trimmings, it's something we look forward to every year. I am also a huge fan of my grandparents Christmas day evening buffet which contains crisps, cheese with biscuits, cold meats, bread, salad, trifle, cake and lots of tasty nibbly bits, I always fill my boots despite having had such a huuuuge lunch.

Favourite holiday memory as a child?
I can't think of just one. I remember all the sleepless nights, the excitement of coming downstairs and seeing the presents. As you get older I think you treasure those Christmas memories with loved ones past a present, Christmas is definitely a time for family.


When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Year 6 in an art class where one of my friends blurted out that Santa wasn't real, I remember thinking she was joking and actually telling her that he did exist (how embarrassing!). I think year 6 (age 10) is pretty good going and it breaks my heart when really young children find out the truth as Santa is such a magical part of Christmas for a youngster. To this day my mum still refuses to tell us the truth about Father Christmas (I'm 24 and my sister is 17) and claims he is most definitely real.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No we don't it's Christmas Day only! Stocking and presents from my parents first thing and then more presents from my grandparents after lunch.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Whilst themes can look gorgeous ours is Victorian style with loads of individual ornaments that we've collected over the years. I love it as many of the decorations remind us of different places, for example I used to live in the Seychelles when I was younger and we have silk peaches and bananas from there (sounds weird but trust me they're nice), my favourite ornaments are a duo of beautiful ballet shoes you can see one in the picture above. We don't have a fairy or a star on the top of the Christmas tree, instead we have a special Christmas ornament of Belle from Beauty and the Beast decked out in her red winter gear because we are a pretty Disney mad family!

Weheartit
Snow Love it or dread it?
If I have to go somewhere dread it, but other than that I love it. Snow is so peaceful and calm and it's nice to see everyone come out and play in the snow. I also love to be cosy inside when there is snow on the ground outside.

Can you ice skate?
No, which is seriously embarrassing because my little sister is a pro and has been having skating lessons her whole life and is pretty amazing on ice!

Do you remember your favourite gift?
I honestly can't, I've always been spoilt rotten by my parents and there have been so many lovely presents over the years. One thing that really stands out is a pink sapphire and diamond ring my dad picked out for me a couple of years ago, it's beautiful and I will keep it forever.

Weheartit

What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Being with family. I've come to realise people aren't going to be here forever so treasure them while you can. We had an awful Christmas last year as my dad was hospitalised on Christmas Eve so this year I'm hoping we can all chill out, enjoy good food and watch some decent telly.

What is your favourite holiday dessert?
My grandmas trifle, which is the easiest thing to make ever...to give you some idea:- tinned peaches with fresh raspberries topped with sliced swiss roll, pour over some custard and top with a good layer of whipped cream so easy but so delicious, we have it all year round but it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

What is your favourite holiday tradition?
I would have to go all materialistic and say opening presents on Christmas morning, it's a nice time to be with the family and exchange gifts! Aside from that watching Christmas movies, Elf and A Muppet Christmas Carol being my favourite and getting the first Starbucks red cup of the year is always a great feeling.

Weheartit
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!!

2 comments: